Monday, November 19, 2018

Teen Space and U.P.S.

Today Ms. Kendrick-Samuel and Miss. Amanda visited the 5th grade classes at one of Uniondale School District's elementary schools for R.I.F. distribution. R.I.F. stands for Reading is Fundamental and object is to share the love and importance of reading by allowing the students to select a book of interest to keep to add to or in some cases start their personal home libraries. While 5th grade is technically still apart of Children's the part of R.I.F. is to also get them hyped about making the transition into Teen Space next year. I'm sure teens reading this remember their R.I.F. distribution from when they were in 5th grade. 


For the first part of R.I.F. Ms. Kendrick-Samuel book talked the books the students could choose from. The titles ranged from an easier read for those who struggle or just learning English, to more challenging books.

 The selection of books included:


Frindle by Andrew Clements
The Mighty Miss. Malone by Christoper Paul Curtis
I Survived: The Great Chicago Fire, 1871 by Lauren Tarshis
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White


 


Then came the fun part. Each class came up one at a time and students were able to select the book they wanted to add to/build their personal library. Some of the 5th graders knew exactly what they wanted, while some just couldn't decide. 





All the 5th graders seemed to really love their first R.I.F. distribution. Do you remember yours? What book did you take home? Share them in the comments below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment